Last weekend, I worked at my treadle, and, finished my shirt string piecing. I am working toward Bonnie Hunter's geese on a string quilt in her book string frenzy. After the blocks were finished, I went back to the book, and realized I had made a mistake. In one part, Bonnie says to cut phone book papers 7 1/4 inches. In a different part, she says to cut them diagonally. I didn't read that part, apparently.
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Tuesday, September 29, 2020
My Friday group meets at the library. There are 3 of us, that meet regularly, and, we have another 5 that comes many times, but, off and on. They are all very talented, and approach quilting differently. That's why I enjoy it so much. I just like to make quilts. I may not have a reason to make one or a plan on what I am going to do with it. I may have several projects going at the same time, and, I tend to bounce around from project to project. I quilt my own quilts on a longarm. I prefer big quilts with an outdated notion that a quilt is for a bed. Linda is more organized, and just likes to make quilts too. She has a limited number going at the same time, and stays more focused until she finishes them. She doesn't do her own quilting and is not afraid of big quilts. She keeps me busy doing her quilting for her.
She and I were part of a swap that made these uneven 9 patches.
|Linda's circa 1880|
Chris still works, and joins us as often as she can. She makes smaller quilts and donates many of them. She quilts some of her own quilting on a domestic machine. This one, she has asked me to quilt for her.
|Shelley's baby quilt for a great nephew|
This is my version of circa 1880, which is not nearly as far along as Linda's, but, it's a start. I am glad Linda and Sue started before me, as, they have worked out the kinks, and been very helpful. I am not working on this at home, yet. It is a project I am saving for group.
|my circa progress|
Last week, I mentioned that I needed to clean my cutting table, and I did. But, the piles have already begun. haha
|I haven't seen this much table in a long while|
Monday, September 28, 2020
Sunday, September 27, 2020
I can't believe it is the end of September already. Besides having too much fabric, it's time to see what my stash report would be.
I was very fortunate to receive a gift of fabric from someone cleaning their closets. It was a magical bundle of fun.
Stash report September 2020
Fabric Used this week: 32 yards -
net fabric: 151.5 yards used more than bought
This is all I have left of the center background of my snowman rug, to hook. It is getting very close. I need to decide on the border, and get started on plans on how I want to finish it.
I am linking to:
Saturday, September 26, 2020
The red blocks for my Irish chain quilt are ready, and, all I need are the yellows. I have worked on this quilt over the last two years for the rainbow scrap challenge. The first year, I did the 4 patches, and, this year, I am making the blocks.
This was a friend Linda's quilt - smith mountain morning -in red and brown. We took the Bonnie hunter class together in Lafayette. Mine was gray and yellow. I quilted hers in red.
I have started putting the joining the rainbow row x row quilt, and finished the 2nd red row.
My rainbow projects for 2020 with links:
Friday, September 25, 2020
This quilt began as a challenge this year from my daughter. She had too many 2 1/2 inch strips, and wanted to make a quilt with them. I had a blue 2 1/2 inch strip drawer that I couldn't close. She suggested a race. I talked about racing my daughter using 2 1/2 inch strips here.
We finished in June. Check here to see who won. I have been waiting for an opening on the longarm to do the quilting. I finished it last week and added the binding this week.
I used 3 large pieces of blue fabrics from my stash for the back. This is truly a scrappy quilt using up stash. I am so thankful my daughter motivated me, and, played along with me.
This will be part of my phd 20
I'm linking to:
Wednesday, September 23, 2020
It is a quilted twins free pattern, called norwegian snowflakes, I found here. There are 4 blocks in each quadrant, and, 4 quadrants in a block, and, 9 blocks in the quilt. I really like it. I am excited I used a combination of white based and cream based neutrals. I think it adds something to the quilt. I did realize, I should have been trimming earlier in the process. I waited until it was a quarter of a block, and, I felt that I had to compromise the squares too much. I am grateful that it doesn't have to match up with another block, it just uses sashings. Hopefully that will hide my inaccuracies.