Thursday, August 11, 2016

glass craft failure

I found this great glass art thing at Goodwill, and since I wanted to try the glass tinting, I had seen on the internet, I bought it. The gluing had already been done for me. After some research, I realized the common glass tinting, that involved modge podge and paint, was not waterproof. And I wanted it for my garden, rain or shine.

 I used American glass enamels paint by decoart. I used Rubbing alcohol to clean the glass, and applied the paint to dry glass.
It seemed a little bubbily ( probably not a word). I wasn't sure if I needed to smooth it all out or that it would melt itself smooth. I did a little of both to see. I let it air dry for 48 hours. I placed it in a not preheated oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes.
IT did not become smooth. It was good enough for me, until I had the great idea to test it in water.
Oh sadness. It was not waterproof.
So I have a wonderful splash of color in my garden, until I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment