Wednesday, August 24, 2022

mystery quilt

I am finally plugging along on the missing rhododendron mystery quilt. I am still not sure I have the  hourglass blocks turned right. So far. it is fitting together pretty well. I can still see some staining, but, the worse parts are gone. The staining effected the setting triangles the most. I soaked them in a solution of dawn dish soap and a color catcher in my kitchen sink, just to see if it was going to work. I made sure they were not touching each other. I swished the water around them gently from time to time. It took about an hour, and then, I could see a difference. I spent the day getting them soaked. I did use the spin cycle in my washing machine to wring them out, and I hung them to dry.

I added row 3

I sure never thought, I would do an inch sashing in a quilt. It isn't as fiddly as I thought it would be. The long hard rows are still ahead, but, little by little it will get finished. I may not iron any of it, until, I can wash it again. I don't want to set the stains.

I still have violets growing, and thyme, and coreopsis.

just a bit cute added to my garden

I  am linking to:


  1. So glad you were able to rescue the blocks! It must be hard but I agree that you probably shouldn't iron until you get the top together and washed a final time. Dawn certainly is the miracle worker! Thanks for sharing your journey on Wednesday Wait Loss.

  2. Glad you found the missing blocks, Maggie. (I have a whole stack of left overs of the Christmas Star block--the pink/yellow/neutrals -- if you ned them.)